Tuesday, December 06, 2005

In Defence of Bloggging (part i)

I love blogs because they're my own personal diary for the world. You don't know what that means? Well, keep investing your time in this blog to find out.

Blogging is an excellent tool to keep me journaling. What's more is that now I can share my personal activities and thoughts with all my friends. I can even share it with total strangers! In the past all sorts of things got in the way from me sharing all my immediate personal thoughts and my darkly honest feelings from others' eyes. Limited copies, distribution issues, even the lock and key to my diary - that possession I used to guard more than all others - all those problems have been resolved through the beauty of the World Wide Web.

The cost of distributing smut through the net has been offset by the mere instance of you reading this warm and friendly blog.

There is beauty and excitment in the ordinary. There is poetry and nobility in the mundane. Why shouldn't I read the mundane and ordinary thoughts of people? Why shouldn't I hear another whiny teen moaning about the cruel world? Why shouldn't I spend an evening cruising MySpace visiting the countless skanky sites of 13 year old girls? What could I possibly do that could be more beneficial than that?

And then there's the community. One time, I was chatting postrrrgrrrl405, and I totally felt like we connected. (That was years ago, before I was engaged.) But even now, I re-read the text of our chat and feel like somewhere, out there, there's an angel. A real, honest to Gates, Angel.

But the real benefit is what blogging does to enhance extra-cyber-communities (known in blogger circles as "realmunities"). Now, if my friend from Comicon or BiMonSciFiCon wants to know what's going on in my life, all he has to do is read this blog. I don't have to call my friends to see what's going on, they have it all right there, for the whole world to see. I will tell you right now one of the greatest benefits that you see who is really your friend. The chances are that they are more honest on their blog than they are to you!

I am so grateful to blogging for helping me narrow down my group of friends. I used to have 37 friends in my cell phone book, but since the party at Rodman's house, and all the crap that ensued, I now only have 4. It makes Christmas a lot cheaper! (Also, I can still read my ex-friends' blogs anyway, so I know what's going on.)

1 Comments:

At 11:52 PM, Blogger Keith said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home